Monday, February 22, 2010

Lemon Pickle/Naranga Achar

 

         It’s pickle time guys ! I am a  huge fan of pickles.  I eat pickles with rice, chappathis, dosa, bread, anything and everything. My hubby dear who is not very fond of pickles (good for me coz I can have it all ;-)) keeps reminding me of the health hazards I would have to face later ! But still it’s difficult to control that craving for pickles. I know many would agree with me on this.
        One thing I miss here in Seattle is the home-made pickles.  I came here carrying lots of  pickles but everything was finished in a month. I started buying pickles from the stores but the store-bought ones were not as tasty as the home-made pickles.  Also they were a way too salty to consume so i resorted to preparing pickles. I pestered my mom for her pickle recipes. And soon my refrigerator started getting crowded with pickles(kaduku manga, lemon, prawn, cranberry to name a few).


          Biryani without lemon pickle is unimaginable for me!  Back home my mother used to make different kinds of lemon pickles - with  or without oil, sweet lemon pickle and white lemon pickle using  garlic and fiery green chillies(kanthari mulaku).

 

Lemon pickle

 

 

Ingredients

  1. Lemon - 6 (Wash and pat dry)
  2. Garlic - 6 - 8 small cloves
  3. Chilly powder - 1.5  - 2 tbsp
  4. Fenugreek powder - 1/2 tsp
  5. Asafoetida/hing - 1 - 2 pinches
  6. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  7. Dry red chillies - 2
  8. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  9. Gingely/sesame oil/Nallenna - 1 tbsp
  10. Salt - To taste

Method

DSC_0587

1.  Steam the lemon for around 10  mts. The lemons should not break.

2.  When it cools down, cut each lemon to around  8 pieces.

DSC_0599

3.  In a pan heat gingely oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, garlic and curry leaves.  Saute until the garlic turns brown.  Lower the heat.

DSC_0591

4.  Now add chilly powder, fenugreek powder and hing.  Saute for a few seconds and add 1/2 cup water.  Bring to a boil. When the gravy is thick, switch off. 

DSC_0602

 

5.  When it cools down, add the lemon pieces.  Mix well. Check for salt.  Keep the pickle intact in an airtight jar at least 2 weeks for the flavor to set in.

 

DSC_0603

 

 

Tips:

 

1)  You can add more chilly powder to this pickle if you wish. I usually add less chilly powder to my pickles since I consume them daily  in huge quantities.  Even if you add more chilly powder it wont be spicy since the sourness of the lemon will compensate its heat. Same is the case with salt.  

 

2) You can also opt not to cook the lemons but the lemons available here are thick-skinned than the ones available in India so it would be better if you steam or cook them. You can also add ginger if you wish.

 

3) Adding water is optional. If you do not want a gravy just add the spice powders, stir for a few seconds and switch off. Cool down this mixture and add the lemon pieces.

7 comments:

  1. love this! I see that you have started writing a little before the recipe..good :)
    Try lime the next time..they are more closer in taste to the naranga that we get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the picture istself enough for mouthwatering. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, this looks excellent and the method sounds authentic except for the steaming; thank you for that tip, going to try this one soon!!! I 'm a pickle fanatic too, can eat with anything & everything, hehehe!!!

    and thank you so much for dropping a few words at mine, made me find your delicious recipes too!!! have a nice week end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, mouthwatering, i got some lemon, so going to trie it today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. had a doubt about steaming lemons. How come the pickle does not soil with steamed lemons ? Usually with water element, the pickle would get spoiled.
    Please reply...

    ReplyDelete