Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Benne Wafers / Sesame Seed Cookies

 

DSC_0087

 

 

      Benne wafer is a thin crispy cookie, made with toasted sesame seeds. There is a story behind the making of these simple and delicious benne wafers. One day I found this very simple recipe for making benne wafers and decided to give it a try, as I am always after easy to cook recipes. The preparation and everything was real easy, done without much time, but...but I cant explain the horror I felt when I peeped into the oven 2 mts after I placed them inside. It was a total mess. The wafers had spread out on the whole pan. They were really flat and stuck to the pan. I almost cried and had a tough time cleaning up the mess after trying out each batch of the real simple cookies(I had tried it with double the ingredients that I have mentioned below and I hadn’t used a parchment paper that day). To my surprise, the cookies turned out super yummy. Those who tasted it also felt the same way so I didn’t mind giving it a second try. I got a different recipe from here which used lesser flour and butter than the previous recipe I tried. I tried it out yesterday and it turned out great! The recipe is really simple that anybody can try it. Trust me, its really worth it. I halved the ingredients and toasted the sesame seeds to enhance its flavor. Other than that I almost followed the recipe exactly. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients (Yield - Around 3 dozen cookies)

  1. Sesame seeds - 1/2 cup (toasted)
  2. All purpose flour - 2 tbsp (I used almost 3-3.5 tbsp flour)
  3. Unsalted butter - 2 tbsp, softened
  4. Brown sugar - 1 cup
  5. Egg - 1
  6. Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
  7. Salt - 1/8 tsp

 

Method

 

1. Toast the sesame seeds in a pan until light golden brown. It will take about 6 - 8 mts at medium heat.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer.

DSC_0059

3. Now add the egg, flour and vanilla essence. Mix well and stir in the toasted sesame seeds. Add more flour if the mixture is very runny.

DSC_0061

DSC_0063

4. Drop by tsp onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 9 - 11 mts or until the edges are brown. Transfer the parchment paper with the cookies to a rack for cooling. The cookies will come off easily from the parchment paper when they are completely cooled. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

 

DSC_0071

 

DSC_0072

 

 

 

DSC_0101

 

 

Tips: You can get sesame seeds really cheap at Asian stores.

 

Update (7/5/10) : I have tried this recipe a couple of times now and every time they turned out to be great, a big hit each time!!!

41 comments:

  1. nicely explained....mindblowing..pics r really good,awesome..loved the ones from misshaped to shaped cookies...wil folow recipe..wil try for sure and let u knw the results...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow really looking so yummy ..loved reading about the experience when u first tried it.very well explained..nice one yummy team..best cookies for evening tea..loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuummies..Absolutely great looking sesame cookies ketto...

    Also I couldnt resist the Gobi Manchurian pic that i ended by making it..Cauliflower frying nadakanu...

    Sujitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had a hard time scraping off the baking pan when I tried out my first baking :)..these cookies looks so crispy and perfect..I love the addition of sesame seeds...looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is so cools gals. Any one can make this. So simple. You gals have done a great job. Looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some creative cookies. Looks soo perfect and crunchy. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cookies. I am a fan of sesame seeds,so would surely give this a try. Loved the way cookie blossomed from unshapely dough to a beautiful and gorgeous one.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great going gals.. these almost look store bought..awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the wafers looks toooo perfect and tempting... yummy one !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice stepwise pics, looks beautiful...would love to try these soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so different and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scrumptious and interesting sesame cookies..

    ReplyDelete
  13. am not too familiar with cooking with sesame seeds and the cookie name is familiar but have never done research on it....they do look yum...

    ReplyDelete
  14. they luk so nice nd crunchy......I wud love to try it sometime....bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very different cookies. Looks delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks so good .. I love the flavor of sesame

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks super easy .. and am gonna try it today

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice healthy cookies,thanx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crispy cookies..super yummy.
    surely will be very flavorful..will surely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is absolutely delicious! very attractive presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like store bought ones. Perfect !!! Another proof of your cooking talent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cookies looks interesting and perfect...nice one

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cookies looks perfect & yummy.. nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had the opportunity to taste this super duper yummy waffers.
    It was so delicious,who cares about the shape :-))
    To my surprise it's a simple recipe.Need to stock some sesame seeds soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a packet of sesame seeds in my pantry which I bought to try out a chinese bread toast...I was wondering what could I do with the leftover sesame seeds:) got a nice idea now..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh boy, parchment paper really reduces the mess...I'm convinced that they taste super yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  27. love seasame cookies. look very crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey loved ur recipe a lot..and steps were quite goodd......i read ur interview in nithu's blog and was very happy to hear all the wrds from u both...its a nice feeling that frnz startng a blog and very hapy to be a part of ur blog too..thanks for joining and keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear,,,cookies looks perfect n very very quick n easy to make this one dear,,i got all the ingredients now am going to bake it for my hubby today itself dear..thanks for the easy cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks so crispy and yummy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes.. its delicious!!! very tasty!!!!Girls, am one of the luckiest one to taste it from Yummies kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow these have turned out to be awesome .. cool pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cookie looks lovely,just like almond thins.
    You have really yummy recipes.Happy to follow you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Never heard of sesame seed cookies..Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I made these yesterday and came out very well,,thanks gals

    ReplyDelete