Monday, June 14, 2010

Achappam/Rose Cookies

Achappam is a popular snack in Kerala which is crunchy and mildly sweet. It is made using a special achu or a round mould which is flower shaped. Here is the recipe:

IMG_5849

Ingredients

  1. Raw Rice flour/Pacha aripodi - 2 cups
  2. Eggs - 2
  3. Coconut milk -  1 - 1.5 cup (half can) or as required
  4. Sugar - 1/4 cup or to taste
  5. Black sesame seeds - 1 tbsp or as required
  6. Salt - A pinch
  7. Oil - For deep-frying

Method

IMG_5834

1. Mix the rice flour, beaten egg, coconut milk, sugar, black sesame seeds and salt. Consistency  should be similar to that of dosa batter. Keep the batter aside for half an hour.

IMG_5841 IMG_5842

2. Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip the mould in hot oil for a minute or until it is hot. Now dip about 3/4th of the mould in the batter and then dip it in the hot oil. Shake the mould slightly after about 20 seconds or when they are semi cooked, so that the achappam will separate easily from the mould. Fry both sides until golden brown and drain onto a paper towel. Remember to dip the mould in hot oil each time before dipping it in the batter, otherwise the achappam would not separate from its mould. Repeat until the batter is finished. Store in an airtight container when they are cooled completely.  Enjoy!!

 

IMG_5845

27 comments:

  1. Yummies..Beautiful looking Achappams..Looks so crispy and crunchy..
    kurach parcel cheythere ketto :-)

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. THose are gorgeous, I have never seen these before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love these achappams, my grandmother used to make it, even my mom never made, you girls are really great for making these perfect looking achappams, looks so crispy and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. achappam one of our favorite snack..i forgot to bring the achappm mould..so missing this snack..happy to see this favorite snack ..nice one da

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love to snack on this anythime. This one looks so yummy and perfect... Just the way u say it Yummy o yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have come out perfectly. Amma also makes it Andhra style (without egg) and we call it "gulab puvvulu". I love them. My mom usually makes them during diwali :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! Very nice,My mom will make this.That amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have eaten this when I was a kid. The sweet version is what I like best. And no eggs were used to make it. It has come out lovely. I am so in love with it. Yummy job, team!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummiest..Beautiful looking roses..Looks so crispy and crunchy..

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! my favorite snack..very nice and crispy,I too forgot to bring the mould:(.. love achappams!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! Just the perfect achappams... it is an item on my to-do list... these look great and just like the store bought ones - just professional!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy achappams... kandittu kothi varunnunde..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect Achappams !! I'm Ready with a cup of Tea...Plz pass me some yaar !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and cute rose cookies, had it long back...truly tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my god i so want one badly...wish u were staying somewhere near my house and id be an unannounced guest all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful crispy achappam..yum yummm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow..Love these...but never knew how they are made..thx for sharing..

    Where did you get that cute mould?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my...this reminds me of my childhood days....yummy..wish to grab some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow these look beautiful.New recipe to me never come across it before.I am a big fan of kitchen gadgets and these little moulds are amazing.I wonder where I can get them from??

    ReplyDelete
  20. love these rose shaped cutesy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow... really good ,my mom use to make this...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of my favourite snack. Beautiful presentation. They look very professional and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so pretty...and delicious!

    ReplyDelete