Monday, March 29, 2010

Moist, Delicious Chocolate Cake and a bunch of awards

   Today I am presenting to you a lip smackingly delicious recipe for a yummy chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I made it thrice in the past 2 weeks and gave it for taste checking to some of my friends and their kids who absolutely loved it! It tastes great even without frosting.

   We are really excited to receive a bunch of awards from Nithu’s Kitchen, PranisKitchen and NatureKitchen. Thanks a lot for your motivation friends!

  

 Chocolate Cake

 

 

 

 

Ingredients

  1. All purpose flour/ maida - 1 1/4 cup
  2. Unsweetened cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
  3. Sugar - 1 1/4 cup
  4. Baking powder - 1 tsp
  5. Baking Soda - 1 tsp
  6. Eggs - 2
  7. Milk - 3/4 cup
  8. Boiling water - 2/3 cup
  9. Oil - 1/3 cup
  10. Salt - 3/4 tsp
  11. Vanilla extract - 1 tsp

Chocolate Frosting

  1. 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  2. 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  3. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  4. 2 cup Confectioners sugar or icing sugar (The original recipe called for 3 cups, I used 2 cups)
  5. 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk or as required to achieve the desired consistency

 

Method

 

1.  In a large bowl sift together the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Now add in the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract and boiling water. Beat them with a mixer at medium speed for about 1 minute or until the batter is well-combined.

 

2. Pour it into a greased round pan and bake at 325 F for around 70 mts or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.If your cake do look dry on top, try to cover it with aluminium foil after 30 minutes of baking. Cool on a wire rack. Cool completely and frost with the chocolate frosting.

 

DSC_0005 DSC_0012

 

 Chocolate Frosting

 

1. In a bowl combine all ingredients under the frosting section and beat with a mixer until you get a spreading consistency. This makes about 2 cups frosting. You might need only around 1 cup for the frosting.

 

 

 

 

DSC_0033

 

DSC_0071

 

Recipe Courtesy for chocolate frosting - www.hersheys.com

 

 [Swapna.JPG]Honest_Scrap_2[1]

      

 

 

        Nithubala and PranisKitchen shared with us the blog loving award and honest scrap award. Nature Kitchen passed us the Sunshine award. Thank you so much for passing us these awards, we really appreciate it! We would like to share these awards with few of our favorite bloggers - Kaipunyam, Vazhayila, Collaborative Curry, Pazham Pappadam Payasam, Adukkala Vishesham and Mirch Masala. Check out their space for some great recipes with awesome clicks. We are pretty sure that they must have received all these awards from plenty of other bloggers. Please do accept them from us too. As per the rules we have to share these awards with fellow bloggers and list 10 things about us which others do not know.

 

 

Coming to 10 things about us:

Maya

        Sharing things people do not know about me would be difficult because that is why I keep it unknown to them. But rules being rules, I have decided to share 10 things that many people don’t know about me. To start with, my friends would know me as a sweet, innocent and caring girl ;-) But the real me is much beyond that.


1. Being a very impatient person, I get upset when things don’t happen the way I planned, and I take out my impatience on people who are dear to me. It really irritates them!

 


2. I was a very popular girl in my batch at school, but mostly known for my foolishness. My batchmates have publicized “Mayayude Mandatharangal” until volume 10 to my utter dismay.

3. I love watching scary movies. When I was young, I with my sis and bro used to watch horror movies at night and slept with the lights on, after checking that there were no ghosts under the bed! What scares me even worse than ghosts would be reptiles. Oh how I fear snakes!

4. I love traveling a lot and that too with my dear hubby. He is passionate about traveling too. We plan to travel the whole world one day!

5. You could call me a non-stop chatter box. I love talking. I just can’t stop myself from going on and on and finally exhaust the person listening to me. Sometimes my friends tell me, “ Maya plzzz, no more”….well but still I go ooonnn……My sister keeps complaining that my niece has got all my traits :).


6. I am an extremely friendly person but it takes time for me to take the friendship to a deeper level,but once someone reaches my good friend book, I try to be there for them always.

 

7. Dancing is my passion, and I regret greatly that I am not classically trained. I loved doing fashion shows, and had a secret desire to be a model, cat walking the ramp! Now I model for my husband, always posing, posing, since he is passionate about photography!

8. I adore watching movies. My hubby is crazy about movies, film making etc. At first, I was not sooo interested but now I am a movie buff too! We watch movies in every language.


9. Cooking is my biggest obsession! I used to be the official taste checker at home. And I love celebrating every festivals, birthdays, events, because that meant good food ! I used to bug my mother to make sadya on my birthdays just for the love of eating sadya. How much I love the cooking part, equally that much would I hate the cleaning and washing dishes part.

 

10. I do not take initiative in anything. Always need a push as I am a really dependent person. My hubby is trying his best to make me do my best. I usually am very lazy to get started with something but once I start I will be fully dedicated to it and give my best. My favorite motto in life is “Hope for the best and prepare for the worst”.

 

Lakshmi

1. I am a very friendly person and always have a group of good friends.

2. I get disturbed even by a very small issue.

3. I am a family type person and love to be with my family always.
4. I love listening to music and enjoy dancing.

5. Teaching is my passion. 

6. I am a nature lover.

7. I  love cooking especially for my hubby.

8. I loooove sweets.

9.  Like all other ladies out there, love shopping.

10. I love to watch movies and I am an internet addict :)

 

32 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all ur well deserved awards!!!
    Cake looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a fabulous chocolate cake..looks awesome..congrats on ur awards..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oru piece thayoooooo..Looks so moist and soft...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely choc cake, my friends...congrats on all the awards...I am sure you are going to get many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice clicks.. looks perfect & delicious.. u have a wonderful recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hay maya ...love ur blog..
    I wanted to try the cake out.. one doubt,though,the sugar u mentioned is powdered sugar ,right?

    regards,
    smrithy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cake,looks very moist and perfect one with yummy frosting...And congrats on all your awards and it was very nice to read few things abt you ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy cakes!! congrats on the awards..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearies..lovely cake..nalla bhangy undu tou..frosting okke perfect aytund..Congrats on the awards..Wish you many mnay mnay more and thanks a ton for remembering us...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  10. eeshoye!!!!! adipoli!!! looks so soft and yummy!!! kothiyavunu...
    congrats on ur awards and it was nice reading abt both of you, Maya n Lakshmi...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enthu Bangi Ninne Kanaan.....
    Super Duper Chocolate Cake!!
    My little girl already gave an award for this cake after tasting it.She is demanding to make more saying that "Mamma,it must be there in the YUMMY SITE":-))

    It was nice to read about you Lakshmi and Maya.
    Mayakutty,Kilukkampetty,VarthamaanaPetty..

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm...chocolate cake looks very delicious....congrats for the awards!.good job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake looks so moist and chocolaty....nice one...congrats on the awards !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thxs for visiting my site & ur lovely comment .. will keep following..

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cake looks absolutely heavenly...love the color of the chocolate... thanks a ton dear for sharing the award with us..

    ReplyDelete
  16. wowww...its very tempting... got handful of awards!!! congrats...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank You All!!

    Smrithy,
    I used granulated sugar for the cake and powdered sugar for the frosting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First time here and absolutely loved ur space. Congratulations to u and Lakshmi and enjoyed the honest confessions. Glad to follow u to relish ur posts instantly :):)Cake made me drool !!!!

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  19. cake kandittu kothiyavunnu.....send me a piece plzzzz!! Maya, I could tell a 100 more things abt u :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. congrts on the award......and cake kandittu kothi ayittu vaya

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely cake. Looks super moist and rich. Adipoly thanne..Following you.
    Hey Congrads on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks incredibly yum and mouthwatering...im so craving it now...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely knowing abt u guys !! Cake looks mouthwatering !!Fluffy and nice icing !! I really love this cake !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. entammoo..this looks super moist..im sure, im giong to try this..recipe is bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my god,,,,u r soooo like me....except for the movie thing and teaching....fantastic cake!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous cake! Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks yummy! When do I add the oil, along with the eggs n milk? Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  28. dear yummy team......please share the recipe of coconut butter cake...i am looking but unable to find . please share it if you have...i just love it

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry for the late reply, adiav..We do not have the recipe for coconut butter cake. We will definitely post it if we come across its recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi....me 1st time here ... & also 1st time ging to try cake....plz clarify which oil to use & also can i substitute unsalted butter with oil

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Deepthi,

    I used canola oil for this recipe. Substituting butter with oil is not a good idea, for the frosting. Butter is used for flavor as well as consistency. So your frosting might turn messy if you use oil. All the best!! Waiting for your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete